Why use Coconut oil? You’ve heard the buzz, what’s so great about it anyways?
Well, there are many reasons to use it in your homemade products. Including –
- It’s a great moisturizer and it won’t clog pores. Use it straight out of the jar or mix with another oil to double the benefits.
- It forms a barrier on the skin, which helps with protecting skin; an added benefit this time of year. A barrier helps protect your skin from the wind and snow.
- It is easily absorbed into the skin, making it a great addition to soaps and lotions. Most recipes call for coconut oil. When used in soap it helps create a great lather also.
- It is often odorless, but when it has an odor it is quit mild and smells fabulous. Great to add to any skincare recipe because it won’t interfere with any scent or essential oil you are adding.
- It has a long shelf life and won’t go rancid quickly. So if you are not making products frequently, you’d don’t have to worry about it going bad. A little lasts a long time.
Another benefit is it also adds protein to the hair plus it is a great addition to lip balms. It is also easy to get, you can buy it almost anywhere. No need to wholesale it from a distributer, pick it up with your groceries. Just slather on as is or add it to a simple recipe.
I’ve added a great recipe that you can make with ingredients from your grocery store. A medium size jar is around $12.00 and can be used for cooking plus your skin. Easy and economical, making your own products is better for your skin, the environment and is economical. I have stopped buying commercially made cleansers and soaps for my skin, and only use my handmade soaps and lotions, I love the way my skin feels.
Whipped Coconut Oil Facial Cleanser
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1/2 cup of castor oil (use less if your skin is dry)
In a small bowl, whip your (solid) coconut oil with a hand or stand mixer. When your coconut oil is whipped and looks fluffy, slowly mix in the in the castor oil. Your final product should resemble whipped egg whites beaten to stiff peaks.
Add to a pretty jar and viola, you have a decadent and hardworking facial cleanser to rival any of the department store brands. Look good, feel good and have fun! Enjoy!